The intervention group against marine pollution, was initiated on Friday, March 14, 2008, by the signing of a partnership charter, within the premises of the regional company Côte d'Azur of the Lyonnaise Des Eaux occurred between its six co-founders. It is through this historical charter that the GIPM's two founding principles were sealed.
- The GIPM's constitutional rules
- The principle of pooling skills and methods.
GIPM's main purpose is to define and implement methods and procedures in order to fight against accidental pollution in the aquatic environment in the most secure and effective way.
Motivated by its close geographical position to the Mediterranean basin and an awareness of the major issues related to the preservation of this particularly vulnerable sea, the group's governing bodies have very quickly aspired to a vast program of federation and pooling of private companies and public resources. The GIPM became capable of mobilizing a set of human and material resources on major anti-pollution interventions within a few hours’ time. The all has been achieved in less than 10 years since original support for the Infra Polmar plan of Cannes began and with the support of more than 30 private companies.
Thanks to its history and experience, the GIPM has become a true cross-border force recognized and represented in more than 20 countries.
GIPM has many missions in the current era. To federate, develop, act and inform for the protection of the environment on an international scale.
- Mutualize and federate know-how and skills in logistics and emergency management.
- Develop an exemplary operational capacity with pollution control teams that can operate throughout the French territory and the Mediterranean basin 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Involve humanly and financially in the research and development of new means of fight against pollution or in the optimization of existing means.
- Inform and sensitize new generations on issues related to the understanding and management of environmental issues.
- Train in the understanding and practice of techniques and means to fight against accidental and chronic pollution.
- Initiate and build, through its international representatives, a human conscience that is at the same time intellectual, technical and technological and that serves exclusively for the preservation of the environmental heritage of humanity.